Risca RFC | 1st Team 55 - 7 Abertillery / Blaenau Gwent RFC | 1st Team
Ryan Dallimore
Try 1
Rhys Meredith
Try 1
Andrew Fraser
Try 2
Daniel Horler
Try 1
Joseph Daniel Carlin
Try 1
Wayne Paul Whitehead
Try 1
Liam Thomas
Try 1
Lewis Millard
Conversion 6
Penalty 1

Match Report
06 November 2017 / Team News

Risca 55 - Abertillery 12

Match report by Clive James:


After a week off Risca returned to League action with the visit of Abertillery/BlaenauGwent. Lewis Millard came in for the unavailable James Dowle, Wayne Whitehead returned on the wing after injury, Rhys James joined captain Rhys Meredith in a new centre partnership while up front Dan Matthews was again on permit from Newport. On the bench prop Scott Hoskins was on permit from Newbridge.

From the kick off Risca secured possession and moved the ball quickly to wing Whitehead who made ground into the 22metre area before passing inside to scrum half Liam Thomas who touched down for the quickest try of the season. The visitors then reduced the defecit with a penalty after Risca were guilty of not releasing at the breakdown.

On 12minutes a strong run from Ryan Dallimore was halted but sharp handling saw captain Rhys Meredith getting over in the corner for an unconverted try. Aber again got on the scoreboard with another penalty,this time for a late tackle. Leading up to half time penalties were swapped with Millard landing one from in front of the posts after Aber infringed at the breakdown and the visitors kicking theirs after a high tackle.

Half time 13pts.-9.

At the start of the second half Abertillery/Blaenau Gwent came out of the blocks with more intent and got to within one point when they landed another penalty after another high tackle offence, After this early reverse the remainder of the half belonged to Risca who ran in six more tries entertaining the crowd with the speed of the play which Aber could not cope with. The first of the six came after centre Rhys James ran from half way handing on to 2nd.row Horler who got to the 22 before passing to Whitehead who touched down for Millard to add the extras. Scott Hoskins then came on for Dan Matthews at tight head while Adam Price replaced James Sully.

Two more tries followed,the first by Horler who finished off after a sweeping move,Millard put over the conversion.Then Ryan Dallimore intercepted a pass inside the 22metre area and ran the 75metres to go over between the posts,Millard again added the extras. Andrew Fraser then came on replacing Ryan Dallimore and Owain Cooper went to hooker with Louis Tovey moving to flanker. The 40point mark came with Joe Carlin touching down after another strong run from Wayne Whitehead with Millard again putting over the extras. Andrew Fraser then scored the final two tries.The first after an Aber lineout was disrupted by Callum Coughlin on the halfway line.He ran on and Fraser went over for a converted score.His second came after a run from halfway.A stumble didn't stop him as he got back up to get the score with Millard adding to his tally with another conversion.

Every member  of the squad delivered a near perfect performance with Biddy directing things from no.10, the backline creating problems all afternoon with their pace and the forwards backing things up with a strong scrum and lineout.

2nd.rows Rhys Norville and Horler were again outstanding while Wayne Whitehead and Ryan Dallimore were dangerous everytime they had the ball. But it was flanker Joe Carlin who was my Man of the Match.

Final score: Risca 55 - Abertillery 12

A clean sweep of wins this week came with the Athletic progressing to the next round of the Newport and District cup with a 41pts-7 victory against St.Josephs.

The Youth won 11pts.-8 against Abertillery/Blaenau/Gwent.

Next week the to Blaenavon kick off 2.30pm.