Abertillery / Blaenau Gwent RFC | 1st Team 21 - 26 Risca RFC | 1st Team
James Dowle
7 Penalty
Wayne Paul Whitehead
1 Try

Match Report
08 January 2017 / Team News

Abertillery 21 - Risca 26

Match report by Clive James

The second half of the season got underway after the Christmas break with Risca visiting Abertillery/BG looking to avenge their opening  day defeatat the Stores Field.

Owen Biddiscombe replaced the unwell Scott Turner at no.10, with Rhys Davies coming in on the bench.
The homeside took an early lead after Risca had been penalised on three consecutive times for offside. On the third occassion from a lineout deep in the Risca 22metre area, the ball was moved wide and wing Ryan Price touched down for a converted try. The defecit was reduced within five minutes with a penalty goal from full back James Dowle after captain Rhys Meredith had made a 30metre break following on from good work from no.8 Mike Preece,  the scrum half being hauled down just short of the line. Then five minutes later Dowle added his second penalty after good pressure from centre Nicholls and flanker Sully. The remainder of the half see-sawed from one end to the other with both defences holding firm. Aber added a penalty while Dowle added three more kicks to his tally leaving the half time score 15pts.-10.
The first ten minutes of the second period saw a double blow to Risca, as first Adam Tetley was shown a yellow card which resulted in a penalty being kicked,  then Biddy had to leave the field with a hamstring injury. James Wadelin came onto the wing with Dowle moving to no.10, and Liam Thomas 
switching to full back. Risca were further behind when an attacking move broke down on the homesides 22metre line, the ball was moved to wing Aled Penn who ran in an unconverted try from 60metres. Again the game moved from end to end and with ten minutes remaining the score was 21pts.each and looking 
as if the league points were going to be shared. Liam Thomas had other ideas when he fielded a high kick on his 10metre line and a burst of speed took him past a number of Aber players inside the 22metre area and close to touch he handed onto that man Whitehead, who touched down in the corner for his tenth try of the season. Dow level showed he is human by missing the touchline conversion after putting over his previous seven kicks. Aber came back again but as during the rest of the game the defence held firm.This was a performance of character and resilience after the yellow cards and injury,  with the whole team contributing to the win. Captain Rhys Meredith led from the front, centres Tetley and Nicholls caused problems all afternoon while the back row were tireless. But it was 2nd.row Alexander Hawkins who was Man of the Match with his allround play in the lineout and in the loose.
The Athletic drew 10pts.each while the Youth went down to a very strong Caerphilly team 20pts.-3.
Next week we visit Brynmawr in the re-arranged Ben Francis fixture.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos