Garndiffaith RFC | 2nd Team 15 - 14 Risca RFC | 2nd Team

Match Report
11 February 2015 / Team News

Athletic lose in tight game.

Match report by Richie Evans

On Saturday the Athletic traveled to play Garndiffaith at New Panteg RFC, as the the Garn firsts were home the game had to be played at a different venue. The Athletic looking to build on last weeks performance again found themselves with 19 players as a lot were unavailable. On arriving at New Panteg there was news of Garndiffaith first team game was off, you could tell from the well drilled and organisation of the Garn warm up that this was going to be tough game.
The Athletic played into a slight breeze first half under the captaincy of Ieuan Davies. So as the Athletic kicked off which was taken by the large Garn second row who burst through 2 tackles before being halted, good ball to the Garn outside half who darted through a gap and kicked the ball down field for the Garn winger who was a flyer to out pace the Athletic cover to score the try inside 2 minutes. Conversion kicked (7-0). This was a shock to the Athletic who now had to wake up and start again. The Athletic forwards started to carry through Owen Pearson, Gez Roberts and Gez Rowlands who were making good yards everytime they carried. The Athletic scrum was creaking early on as the bigger Garn pack was on top but a good pick up on the back foot by Owen Pearson before off loading to Liam Thomas who handed onto Steve Barnes who made the break only for the Athletic to have a penalty from the breakdown, the Athletic kicked for touch as the lineout had started well with good ball from Tim Barnes and Gez Roberts. The ball was moved wide from the lineout only for an handling error to stop the move from progressing. The Athletic again as it has been for the last couple of weeks handling errors and decision making was letting them down. When the Athletic upped the tempo and kept the ball in hand they were making good ground. With the Garn back line looking dangerous everytime they got the ball as they had pace to burn, the Athletic decided to keep the ball tighter a good carry by Owen Pearson getting the Athletic up to the Garn 10mtr line and good ruck ball onto Matthew Jarvis who carried into the Garn back line sucking in a few defenders, then good ball sent Steve Barnes through a gap who was pulled down 5mtrs short, good ball again for Liam Thomas to pick up and pop to Gez Rowlands to barge over for the try. Conversion kicked by Liam Thomas (7-7).
When the Athletic kept the ball they were starting to look dangerous but again bad passing and poor handling was letting them down. With 15 minutes to go to the break Matthew Johnson made a lovely break who off loaded only for the pass to be dropped again, from the resulting scrum the Garn were awarded a penalty which they kicked up to the Athletic 22. The lineout was not straight, so great chance for the Athletic to clear from the scrum but the Garn were awarded a penalty for a crooked feed which they tapped quickly and carried through there big forwards, good tackling by Tim Barnes, Gez Rowlands and Kiaran Lewis keeping them out only to concede another penalty which this time the Garn kicked for goal (10-7).
The Athletic found themselves behind again with so many unforced errors happening it was difficult to get any flow to there game. With 30 minutes gone the Athletic were awarded a penalty on there own 10mtr line which Liam Thomas took quickly who ran before feeding Matthew Johnson who again cut through before handing onto Jordan Madden who was brought down on the Garn 10mtr line good ball from the ruck was fed onto Josh Bateman then onto Matthew Jarvis where at the ruck the Athletic were awarded a penalty which was kicked to the corner, a good catch and drive but again the ball was split in the maul for the Garn to clear, 5 minutes before the break good ball was won from the 5 man lineout by Tim Barnes where Matthew Johnson hit Kiaran Lewis on the charge who off loaded to Steve Barnes who passed onto Matthew Johnson who was certain to score but the Ref blew for a forward pass. Right on the half time whistle the Athletic should have had a try when Liam Thomas picked up from the rear of the ruck on the Garn line and darted for the line only to slip and reach for the line which he made only for the Ref to disallow for two movements.
Half Time Garndiffaith 10 Athletic 7

So for the second half and the Garn now rang the changes from there large squad, with another 4 subs coming on a large number 8 and centre a two speedy and strong flankers.
Gez Rowlands received the Kick off who handed onto Kiaran Lewis on the charge who off loaded lovely off the floor only for the next player to take his eye off the ball and spill it.This was now becoming a regular occurrence as the Athletic was spilling to much ball and turning ball over to easy. The Athletic were also kicking poorly at the start of the second half and this was giving the Garn back 3 lots of space to use there pace, 10 minutes into the second half a excellent carry by Kiaran Lewis got the Athletic up to the Garn 22, from the scrum and a large blind side to attack unfortunately the Ref blew again for a crooked feed and for the Garn to clear. Again the Athletic were giving to many penalties away as the two new flankers were getting to the breakdowns quicker than the Athletic to stop any attack the Athletic tried to build.
With the game starting to be a stop start affair as the Ref started penalising the Athletic at ruck and scrum, from a scrum penalty the Garn kicked to the corner for a catch and drive but good spoiling work at the lineout by Gez Roberts won the ball for the Athletic to clear. With 20 minutes left the Athletic finally built some pressure in the Garn 22 as they finally kept the ball in hand and went through the phases before Liam Thomas off loaded to Owen Pearson to score, Conversion kicked by Liam Thomas (10-14).
From the restart the Athletic claimed the ball but another penalty conceded at the ruck for holding on, the Garn kicked to touch and caught and started to drive but some how Gez Rowlands won the ball from the drive and carried well before Matthew Johnson kicked deep only for the Garn full back to knock on, Athletic scrum 20mtrs out 15mtrs from touch, Owen Pearson picked up went blind who fed Liam Thomas who put Tom Josham away only for the Garn wing and full back to pull him down short and again both Garn flankers over the ball to win the penalty. The Garn cleared to touch, from the lineout the Garn sent one of there speedy wingers away and he was in the clear only for an ankle tap by Craig Thomas to stop him from a certain try, from the resulting breakdown the Garn won a penalty which was taken quickly by the Garn scrum half and two passes put there other flying winger in the corner, conversion missed (15-14).
With only minutes remaining the Athletic was unable to get another score to get the win.

This was a good effort by the Athletic against the Garndiffaith Barbarians but the game was lost due to the high error and penalty count. This will have to change if the Athletic have any hope of winning the league this season.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos