Brecon RFC | 1st Team 27 - 14 Risca RFC | 1st Team
Richard Lucas Jones
Try 1
Dean John Gunter
Conversion 2
Penalty 1
Jake Crockett
Try 2
Jake Newman
Try 1
Owen Biddiscombe
3 Penalty
Wayne Paul Whitehead
1 Try

Match Report
05 March 2017 / Team News

Brecon 27 - Risca 14

Match report by Clive James:

Risca's visit to Brecon saw the home team gain a bonus point win avenging the 34pts.-17 defeat at the Stores Field. Captain Rhys Meredith started at scrum half and Mike Preece came in at no.8 on permit from Ebbw Vale.

Brecon took an early lead with a penalty goal after Risca failed to secure the ball from the kick off and then infringed at the breakdown.For the next twenty minutes both teams tried to gain control and it looked as if the visitors were going to get the breakthrough when full back Dowle made a break before passing to wing Whitehead on halfway.He looked as if he was going to get over in the corner but was hauled down just short and the chance was gone. Five minutes later Brecon extended their lead when after a series of phases in the Risca red zone wing Jones went over for an unconverted try.

From the re-start the visitors had Brecon on the back foot and no.10 Biddy ,who took over the kicking duties after Dowle left the field with a dislocated elbow, put over a penalty. A re-shuffle saw Whitehead move to full back and Taylor Dimmick came onto the wing. Within minutes the initiative was handed back to the homeside when a moment of indecision and a wrong option taken allowed wing Crockett to gather the wayward kick and score an unconverted try. Biddy then put over his second penalty and the first half ended 13pts.-6.

The start of the second half saw Mark Chamberlain replace Callum Anderson who could not repeat the performance he put in against Blaenavon.Immediate pressure from the kick off was rewarded when Biddy landed his third penalty to get within one score.Unfortunately on fifty six minutes Risca were undone by a slick move from the Brecon back three which ended with full back Newman touching down for a converted try. Liam Thomas and Kieran Lewis came on for Rhys Meredith and Ryan Crandon for the last quarter. On sixty two minutes Risca exerted good pressure and it resulted in Whitehead getting over in the corner for an unconverted try and it was game back on again. As time ticked by it looked as if Risca were going to have to be content  with a losing bonus point but that was snatched away with two minutes remaining.Brecon kicked into space on the visitors 22metre line and instead of securing the ball and clearing to safety the flykick was gratefully gathered by Crockett who went over for the bonus point try.

Full Time 27pts.-14.

This was another league fixture that was handed to the opposition with two tries being gifted. The other difference was that Brecon's back three were much sharper in thought and deed during the course of the game.

Those who performed well today was Wayne Whitehead who when moving to full back was safe under the high ball and looked to attack at every opportunity,prop Geraint Rowlands who is having a good season and Man of the Match,hooker Louis Tovey.

Next week Nantyglo are the visitors kick off

Photo courtesy of Ian Whitcombe



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos